Meeting Time: 5:30PM Monday March 2nd, 2020 Location: North Indian River County Library, 1001 Sebastian Blvd. We always meet on the first Monday of the month!
This meeting is sponsored by Vic’s Pizza!
We have a couple of great speakers lined up for out next meeting Monday, March 2, 2020 at 6pm at the North County Library. The coming train has been a topic many of our members have expressed concern about. We will have two speakers who can address the new train in depth. Bob Auwaerter and Paul Westcott will discuss where we stand with the train coming through Indian River County, where we are with litigation, and what the next steps are. Please check out the website devoted to improving safety of the RR that will be coming through our town.
Shortly after coming to Indian River County in 2014, Bob Auwaerter began his opposition to the AAF trains. As a frequent user of rail up north, he worried about the high speeds in unfenced narrow corridors. The company’s financial statements and projections also troubled him. He testified twice at the FDFC hearings in Orlando against the issuance of private activity bonds. Bob took photos along rail corridors on the Treasure Coast showing how close trains, cars, buildings and people are, and used them to educate state and federal officials about the dangers we face. He provides financial insights to many groups fighting the train. We are excited to have Bob update us on the fight for a safe train.
Paul Westcott grew up in Satellite Beach and has been an Indian River County Resident since 1993. Paul received his Bachelor’s Degree in economics and political science from Florida Southern College. He received his law degree from Stetson University College of Law. Paul will help understand the litigation relating to the train as well as the practical considerations associated with VT’s business model. He will be discussing the implications of the speed VT is operating in contrast to the safety regulations. They are operating at a speed that minimizes the level of safety regulation. Paul will address why it is unlikely we will ever get a stop and discuss who the real owners are. We are happy to have Paul’s legal insight on the litigation process.
Both of these speakers bring a wealth of knowledge on the subject and will be able to answer our member’s questions. I can’t wait to hear more about what we can do to help in the battle for safer trains in Indian River County.
- Call to Order
- Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance
- Matters of Importance
- $10 Dues are due!
- Bob Auwaerter and Paul Westcott discuss where we stand with the train coming through Indian River County, where we are with litigation, and what the next steps are.
- Closing Comments
- Website Photography Submissions
Website Photography Contest
- This months photo is submitted by our very own Nancy!
- Send in your favorite pictures of Sebastian and candid pictures from our meetings and have the chance to be featured in our posts.
- Send Emails to email@example.com
All residents are invited to a meeting of this association…
- We promote the general welfare of the City.
- We work with residents and City officials on common goals and programs that benefit property owners, ensure quality of life, and positively affect property values.
- We are a non-partisan, non-political, all-welcoming organization.
- We have informative meetings open to all residents of the Sebastian area. Bring your ideas for helpful programs you would enjoy as meeting topics. Call 772-713-5071 for more information.
- Every day is important.